The City Attorney is appointed by the City Council to plan, organize and direct legal activities to accomplish commitments made on the City of Jacksonville Strategic Map and to act as chief legal advisor to the City. Some of the various roles and responsibilities of the City Attorney include:
- Provides legal advice to the City Council, City Manager and other authorized City representatives to produce innovative solutions to a wide variety of legal matters
- Prepares ordinances and resolutions considered and adopted by the City Council
- Drafts and reviews contracts and other legal documents on behalf of the City
- Represents the City in legal proceedings
- Prosecutes Class C misdemeanors and city ordinance violations in municipal court
- Submits briefs to the Texas Attorney General seeking opinion as to release of matters requested under the Public Information Act
The City Attorney does not provide legal advice, opinions or representation to members of the public on private matters.